Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ask Button #2



Dear Button,

I want to give my rabbit treats that she really loves, but I know that commercially-made treats aren't the best for her. What are some natural treats that you love to eat?


Love,
Health-Conscious Bunny Mom

Paramus, NJ




Dear Health-Conscious Bunny Mom,

Wow! Your rabbit is so lucky to have someone who is looking out for her health and happiness! My mom always gives us the best treats. Since I'm blind, it does take me a while to recognize new smells that I like. However, my mom always introduces new yummy healthy things to me and my furry siblings!

You're right- commercial treats aren't the best for us lagomorphs (by that I mean rabbits). They are often too fattening and sugary for us. Although many of us have a sweet tooth and love yummy treats, they really aren't the best for us. Treats with many different colors or seeds on them really aren't good for us either.

Some of my favorite treats are dried fruit! My mom bought freeze dried strawberries and blueberries from Trader Joe's, and they were a big hit around here. We also love Oxbow's Papaya Tablets and we get about one of those a day, although I do beg for more! Occasionally, my mom will give us each a small piece of fruit like apple or banana. Me and the other rabbits in my home also love our fresh dark, leafy greens, and I feel like I'm getting a treat each night when my mom serves them to us!

Check out the approved fruit and veggie list on the House Rabbit Society's website. They have recommendations of healthy food that you can introduce to your rabbit slowly. They even have a veggie shopping list!

Remember, like me, your rabbit may not love the new treats on the first try. Don't worry- she may come around! Just leave the treat in her food bowl and she may try it later!

Keep up the good work- your rabbit will definitely appreciate it! Thanks for writing in!

Love,
Button


***Feel free to send in your own questions for Button to answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rabbits and Easter DO NOT MIX!!!