Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ask Button #1



Dear Button,

Why does my rabbit rub his chin on everything?


Love,
Curious Rabbit Mom

Wayne, NJ


Dear Curious Rabbit Mom,

Hi, I'm Button, the amazing past Hug-a-Bunny. I volunteered to answer any rabbit-related questions since I want people to know how we truly feel and what we do really means!

What a good question you have! Your rabbit must really
love you and his home! When we rub our chin on things, we're actually putting our scent on it, or are "marking" it. We do this so we remember where we've been and so we can claim things as ours. I often tell people that every time we rub our chin on something, we're thinking, "this is mine....this is mine...." It's true! I love to put my scent on everything so I feel at home. Rabbits like me do this more if another rabbit lives nearby or uses the same play area at a different time. Sometimes we even rub our chin on our favorite human or food so that we know those are ours too! I guess we just want everything to be ours!

Anyway, that's all for now! I hope this answered your question! Feel free to send in another question soon!


Love,

Button



***Ask Button is a new series of postings where our adopted Hug-a-Bunny Button will be answering questions about rabbit behavior, health, and care. Feel free to send in any of your own questions for Button to answer! Simply email your questions to hugabunny@gmail.com and Button would be happy to answer them all! Please be aware that it may take a few days for Button to answer you, since he's still learning how to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rabbits and Easter DO NOT MIX!!!